Readfield is a small rural community and a popular recreation spot in central Maine due to the numerous lakes and
ponds within its limits as well as many hiking and walking trails.
Readfield was incorporated in 1791 and was previously part of Pondtown, now Winthrop, part of the Kennebec Purchase from Governor Bradford’s Plymouth Plantation in Massachusetts.
Readfield is home to a few summer camps which draw children and young adults from around the world to spend a summer on the banks of a lake in Maine. It is also home to Kents Hill School, a preparatory school, and Maranacook Community Schools, the public schools for the district.
The town is also home to the historic Union Meeting House, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The brick meeting house’s interior is painted with trompe l’oeil murals on the walls and ceilings.
Readfield borders the town of Manchester to the east, Winthrop to the south, Wayne to the southwest, Fayette to the west, and Mount Vernon and Belgrade to the north.